Fishing has never been so much fun without the invention of fishing reels. You no longer have to face the hassle of tangling heavy nets and missing your prey. Now, all you need is high quality and affordable best open face reel to enjoy the fishing experience like never before.
The open-face reel is versatile that makes it a popular choice among expert anglers. The open-face reel has a stationary spool that stops the line’s uncoiling as soon as the cast is complete.
Unlike the other common reels where you need a revolving spool for retrieving and casting. The easy operation allows even beginners to master the reel quickly.
If you are reading this, it means you are looking for the best open face reel to make your fishing more comfortable and pleasurable. This buying guide will provide you with the best open face reels reviews to help you make a valuable and well-informed decision.
Continue reading for the detailed insights on the best open face reel for your favorite sport and make your holiday trip memorable.
Top 7 Best Open Face Reel Picks for You – Detailed Review
Open face reels offer efficient ways to catch your prey. That is possible only because of how well the reel is constructed to offer high reliability and ease of use. However, to buy a decent and top-quality open face reel requires thorough and extensive research.
To save your precious time, we have compiled a list of products based on durability, top features, and high quality for you.
Read the detailed reviews below and choose the one that meets all your requirements.
- GREAT VALUE - Loaded with features yet low on...
- LIGHTWEIGHT - narrow graphite frame design and...
- HIGH POWERED - KastKing Summer/Centron spinning...
- SMOOTH PERFORMANCE - Summer/Centron's nine quality...
- LOOKING GOOD - Summer/Centron's attractive,...
If there is any open face reel packed with amazing features and yet you can grab it at such an affordable price, it is the KastKing Summer and Centron Spinning Reel. KastKing aims to provide the best value at all levels.
Being lightweight, you can easily operate and handle the reel. Its multiple features and durable design make it a great choice for the one who likes to go fishing in freshwater. Even in saltwater, it offers smooth functioning.
What makes this open-face reel stand out among the rest are the materials used in its construction. The computer balancing system and the graphite frame design are used to offer high performance in this compact open-face reel. For ultra-smooth performance, the reel comes with a nine-ball bearing system along with one-way anti-reverse bearing.
With KastKing, you can go fishing, like a professional, in a matter of time. The superior drag system offers an amazing stopping power of about 17.5 lbs. Moreover, the machined pinion gear and the mesh drive gear give a tough fight against the fish.
- Nine plus one ball bearing system
- A superior drag system that offers exceptional stopping power
- Pinion and mesh drive gear to enable fish fighting power
- Left and Right interchangeable handle
- Anodized aluminum spool in two colors
- Compact Design
- Great value for money
- Corrosion-resistant due to graphite frame with high tensile strength
- An incredible and attractive finish that attracts people who love fishing
- Not designed to use in saltwater
- Crank Handle is quite small
- Durable, high range spinning reel ideal for...
- Full metal body, side plate, and rotor and heavy...
- 4+1 stainless steel bearing system
- Fluid cranking with 5 sealed stainless steel ball...
- Superline spool requires no backing, is braid...
Ideal for saltwater use, Penn Battle II is specifically designed and made from durable materials incorporating fish-fighting features to provide a professional mechanism of catching a fish all around the year.
With five stainless steel ball bearings and one anti-reverse bearing, you will enjoy the smooth performance of this open-face reel. The reel’s body is made up of metal, which comprises rotor and side plates, along with heavy-duty aluminum bail wire for superior durability.
The other best feature is the HT 100 carbon drag system that offers a powerful drag without affecting the reel’s smooth functioning. Moreover, it is available in a variety of sizes, out of which you can use according to your requirements and preference.
- Boasts a Full metal body, rotor, and side plates
- Comes with Superline spool and Carbon fiber drag washer
- Offers line capacity rings pointed as full capacity, 2/3 and 1/3
- Fluid cranking with fight shields and 5+1 stainless steel ball-bearing system
- Great for saltwater use
- Versatile in nature with various sizes available
- Exceptionally durable
- A well-engineered mechanism for catching fish
- Requires more maintenance
- Heavier than other regular reels
- More expensive in this size
- FISHING EQUIPMENT--12+1 Stainless steel ball...
- SCOPE OF APPLICATION--Spinning Reel can be used in...
- EASY CARRYING--Casting Spinning Fishing Reels has...
- AWESOME GIFT--Burning Shark Spinning Fishing Reel...
- WARM TIPS--IF you have any problems about fishing...
Burning Shark Fishing Reel is among the best looking as well as most intimidating open face reel available in the market. With its bright orange accent and excellent design, you are going to make a style statement wherever you go.
Apart from being visually appealing, the reel operates very efficiently and effectively. With twelve plus one ball bearing system and a gear ratio of 5.1:1, you get the smoothest operation that will not hang under a heavy load. To provide you with even more smooth performance, the reel comes with the reverse drag.
For your convenience, the reel has a foldable hand, which lets you carry the reel easily. Even the fishing rods are interchangeable to add more comfort and convenience. The high-density glass fiber and stainless steel main shaft make the body of the reel corrosion-resistant and long-lasting.
The Burning Shark Fishing Reel is versatile in its usage as it can be used in Freshwater Fishing, Rock Fishing, Saltwater Fishing, Boat Fishing, Lake Fishing, Travel Fishing, River Fishing, and Carp Fishing. Moreover, with a length of 5.6 inches, you can easily pack the reel with you for your outdoor trip.
- 12 Stainless steel ball bearings and one reverse bearing for smooth performance
- Exceptional durability and corrosion-resistant due to composite material and high-density glass fiber
- CNC machine cut foldable and right/Left interchangeable handle
- Offers fishing and hunting in the same model
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- A great gift option who loves fishing
- Versatile with many usage options
- Locking mechanisms have some issues
- Black Anodized Machined Aluminum Housing ("Hard...
- Solid Screw-In Handle, Air Rotor, Dynamic Cut...
- Braided Line Ready Spool, Waterproof Drag System,...
- Manual Return Bail (4500 and Larger), 6BB+1RB,...
- Line Capacity (Lb. Test / Yards): 14/470, 17/380,...
Packed with amazing durability and advanced technology, Daiwa BG Spinning Reel makes it a worthy purchase at such a price. This open-face reel is ideally designed to be used under saltwater. However, it can work efficiently in freshwater as well.
The aluminum body, dynamic cut ABS spool, waterproof drag system, and superior quality gear system make this tough and smooth reel a perfect choice for any saltwater and freshwater anglers. Moreover, the corrosion-resistant body is made of aluminum metal, which offers smoothness in your fishing game.
The open-face reel comes with a seven-ball bearing system and an effective gear ratio of 5.6:1 for high-end performance. With this spinning reel, you will not have any issues with the management of a line from shaky heads, little Swimbaits, or drop shots. The reel will remain efficient and durable for a long time.
- Corrosion-resistant black anodized aluminum body
- Air Rotor Construction for smooth casting
- Solid Screw-in Handle for ease of usage
- Waterproof Drag System that improves durability and increases longevity
- Lightweight and easy to operate
- The line capacity of the fishing reel is perfect for adding support.
- Amazing anti-reverse system
- Expensive than other models of this size
- Baitfeeding System allows for disengagement of the...
- Multi-disk drag system with Japanese oiled felt...
- Six ball bearings and one quick-set anti-reverse...
- Corrosion resistant construction and materials;...
After decades of development and research, you get this open face reel that shows precision and refinement at its best. It offers a unique balance of Okuma’s bait feeding system and event grade spinning reel.
This open-face reel is known for its smooth and high-quality performance and exceptional features. The unique bait feeding system allows the anglers to let their bait run freely by disengaging the spool. The bait feeding system also comprises a micro-adjustable drag through which you can make adjustments to control the bait in the spool.
You can comfortably make use of this reel for offshore and inshore fishing. The reel provides strong, flexible, and lighter star drag reels with a sufficient line capacity to give a tough fight to the big fish because of the style and advanced technologies.
The reel comes with a Cyclonic Flow Rotor to reduce the risk of corrosion that gives rise to a cyclonic airflow by increasing the air inside the rotor and dries the reel if it becomes wet. Moreover, the Even Flow Roller System eliminates the risk of twisting the line by letting it roll freely without causing friction.
- 6 stainless steel ball-bearing system for smooth performance
- Patented on/off auto trip bait feeding system
- Machined aluminum handle knob from size 40-80
- Cyclonic Flow Rotor to eliminate the risk of corrosion
- Great for offshore and inshore fishing
- Come with Hydro Block watertight drag seal
- Features a superior quality precision elliptical gearing system
- Anti-reverse roller bearings offer smooth operation without hanging
- 1-year warranty
- Some anglers complaint about loose bail screws
- The second spare spool is made up of plastic
- The Syncopate spinning reel provides efficient and...
- Featuring Quick Fire II technology allowing for...
- Built in Varispeed technology provides consistent...
- Equipped with a Propulsion Line Management System...
- Max Drag: 13 lbs. / Gear Ratio: 5.1:1. / Weight:...
Shimano Syncopate is known for its versatility and practical nature that has made the whole experience of fishing stress-free and quick. This is made possible through the QuickFire II system, which allows you to cast single-handedly. Moreover, the Propulsion Line administration system allows you to reach long distances with few wind knots and minimum effort.
The reel is loaded with multiple and advanced features, including Varispeed technology and Dyna Balance. The reel has inbuilt Varispeed technology that maintains the consistency of spool speeds. In contrast, the Dyna Balance enhances the smoothness and sensitivity by counterbalancing the rotor to reduce any wobble during the retrieve.
Shimano has spent years providing the well-engineered and precise reel that you can easily hold in your hand. All those who owned and worked with this reel enjoyed the smooth performance and its efficiency. The credit for such efficiency goes to a Japanese visionary called Shozaburo Shimano, who aimed to make a Shimano product the best in the world.
- QuickFire II technology and one hand casting make it easy to use
- Maintain the consistency of spool speed with Varispeed technology
- Enhance the overall smoothness with Dyna-Balance
- Propulsion Line Management System offers large casting distance.
- Easy to operate and handle
- Comes with long-lasting durability
- Reliable and efficient performance at an affordable price
- Wobble-free Retrieve
- Does not offer instant anti-reverse system
- Only suitable for small fish due to small spool size
- Improved & Enhanced Process: Full metal body with...
- Silky Smooth Construction: 9+1 stainless steel...
- R.E.S.S. System: Built-in RUNCL Entire Shield...
- Braid-Ready Spool: Constructed with metal braid...
- Super Power Drag: The sealed drag system comes...
With great precision and detailing, Titan II open face reel is made to promote high-quality performance for a beginner as well as expert anglers. Every time you use the reel, you end up having the most relaxing and pleasurable time while fishing.
In terms of its construction, the body is made up of metal with two anodized colors. To increase the wear resistance of the reel, Phosphating coating is done on the rotor’s surface. Moreover, the 168 hours of the Salt Mist test prevent the corrosion of the reel from saltwater.
In addition to this, an interesting feature that makes the Titan II the best open face reel lies in its shield system. The open-face reel has an in-built RUNCL Entire Shield System (RESS), which protects the spool, rotor, and the main body. It also keeps the sand, dirt, and water out of the reel.
With ten stainless steel shield bearings and solid brass pinion gears, there is no doubt that you won’t enjoy the powerful and super-smooth performance. Moreover, the reel has exceptional stopping power due to multi-disc carbon fiber washers. It also helps you to increase the maximum drag by forty percent.
- 168-hour Salt Mist Test prevents saltwater corrosion
- 9 plus one stainless steel shield bearings
- Sealed multi-disc carbon drag system and thick stainless steel main shaft for uninterrupted performance.
- Metal Braid grip to reduce the risk of braid from slipping
- Superior Durability
- Carbon fiber washers promote longevity
- Construction with stainless steel offers strong precision
- Suitable for beginners as well as expert anglers
- Sometimes, the grip of the handle is not comfortable and slippery
What Are the Things You Should Consider Before Buying the Best Open Face Reel?
It is never easy to find the right type of open face reel when you are provided with so many options in the market. It could be quite overwhelming if you are new and don’t know what you should look for. There are many factors and features you should consider before buying the best open face reel.
Below are some important and crucial factors that you need to know so that you can choose the best open face reel based on these factors and your personal preference. Let’s directly jump into factors to know them in detail.
The reel body makes a vital part of the fishing reel. It should comfortably fit your fishing style and the palm of your hand. Additionally, it should provide a stable base for the whole reel.
The essential part of the open face reel is called the reel bod to which the other component of the reel gets attached. Most of the reels are made from graphite and aluminum. In terms of durability, aluminum is the choice you should go for, but if you want the gear lighter’s weight, then go for graphite.
To reduce the weight of the body, many manufacturers drill holes in the aluminum body. However, you should make sure that these holes do not let the reel’s body flex. The reel body should remain sturdy.
The reel spool is constructed to hold the fishing line and is situated on the top of the open-face reel. The reel spool remains fixed, and when the line is collected, it does not move or rotate. However, when the line tension increases on the drag setting, it can turn backward, resulting in the line’s unwinding.
If you talk about the material, most of the reel spools are made of graphite or aluminum. Like the reel body, you can go for aluminum to improve durability and graphite to reduce the overall reel’s weight.
Reels that are made from plastic can damage easily and cut down the casting length instantly. Make sure you choose the reel with a carbon fiber pool or aluminum for great results.
In case you prefer braided lines, look for the reel that has an inbuilt braid-ready spool, which provides you with ease to directly tie the line to the spool.
The handle is an important part of the reel, which allows the angler to collect the reel in fishes or fishing line. The handles are generally built from plastic, graphite, or aluminum and consist of a small spinning grip and angled arm.
Different manufacturers design different grip handles, so make sure you check the comfortable grip for your hand.
Most of the handles also differ in terms of their size as some are light and small while the rest are bigger and have a better grip. Additionally, while looking for the handle, keep in mind the weight of the fish it can carry. It is favorable to choose the reel with a large handle that can easily handle the weight of fish and provide a better grip.
The handle and the rotor of the spinning reel turn together while functioning. The only difference is that the rotor uses a gear ratio. You can retrieve the line faster with a higher gear ratio, but it doesn’t offer you much torque. However, with a lower gear ratio, you have more torque but low retrieve every time the handle turns.
You should choose the weight of the reel, considering how much you can easily handle. An ideal open face reel must strain your arm and allow you long hours of fishing effectively. The reels come in a variety of sizes that suit different target species and fishing situations.
Large spinning reels are preferred over the smaller one as they can hold more line. However, the line capacity also comes in different variations as the weight of the reel. Sometimes, the line diameter also affects the spool line capacity.
If your target is smaller, fishes such as perch, bluegill, or crappie, lightweight and modest line capacities are enough as these fishes don’t run away to a far distance once hooked.
For larger fishes such as striped bass, muskies, or marlins, you need heavier line capacities that can tightly hook and hold the fishes.
The construction techniques and the reel’s material must be light enough to eliminate angler fatigue as well as strong enough to fight against the big fishes. Many modern reels use materials, including graphite, metals, plastic, and copolymer. Plastic reels are better for those who have a limited budget or just began using the open face reels.
To work effectively in light saltwater and freshwater, materials such as copolymer and graphite provide more flexibility. However, many expert anglers prefer metal reel construction as it is great for both saltwater and freshwater.
An important note to keep in mind is that some reels use different low-cost materials to reduce the reel’s cost and weight. These reels do not offer long-lasting durability; therefore, make sure to check the reel’s material before you make a purchase.
Liner Roller or Power Roller is a small cylinder that guides the line when the bail is closed. You can find a power roller made out of a variety of materials, including graphite, gold, brass, and aluminum. However, the material is not important in the power roller. What is important is that it should spin smoothly instead of hanging or getting stuck at various points.
Some Open Face Reel FAQs
Where Can You Use an Open Face Reel?
The open Face reel is another name for a spinning reel, but the only difference is that the spool is not covered, unlike a regular spinning reel. Moreover, they provide you with high versatility because of ease of use, different features, and size available. Let’s see where you can use open-face reels.
Open face reels are generally designed and constructed for freshwater. It is not recommended to use the reel in saltwater. However, the recent models are equipped with advanced technologies that make them even suitable for saltwater use.
Small to Medium Fish
People use an open-face reel to catch fish that are between small to medium size. Open face reels are ideal for catching and baiting these small and medium-sized fish with ease. Therefore, you can have a reliable and smooth fishing experience while using open face fishing reels.
How To Cast an Open Face Reel?
The modern reels are fairly easy to use as they involve user-friendly procedures. You can easily cast them without any advance knowledge. However, you still need some information so that you won’t make mistakes while you cast.
Here are the quick steps to show how you can cast an open-reel.
- First, using your two fingers, hold each side of the post to grip the reel.
- Hold the line using your index finger as you open the bail with your other hand. This way, you will free the line.
- It’s time to swing the road in the direction where you want your bait to land. Release your index finger allowing the weight of the bait to uncoil the line.
- As the line continues to uncoil from the spool, you can use your finger to adjust the line and control the cast’s distance.
- Once you have completed the cast, you can close the bail either by hand or by rotating the handle.
Which One Is Better to Open Face Reel or Closed Reel?
Both open and closed face reels have their advantages and disadvantages, but the open-face reel is more versatile in terms of size and the type of line the reels can handle.
Open face reels can hold more lines as they have more space than closed reels. They are also efficient and strong enough to handle heavier lines compared to the closed face reel.
Can You Use a Braided Line on An Open Face Reel?
Yes, an open face reel is a perfect choice for a braided or thicker line. That is why the open face line is much stronger than the closed face line as they can last longer and smoother.
Fishing is an activity that requires hours and hours of patience and unlimited fun only if you have got the right fishing equipment. The best open face reel listed above are some of the best reels available in the market today.
Most of the reels are suitable for both freshwater and saltwater conditions. Any of the reels discussed above can prove to be a valuable addition to your fishing gear.
Before you come to a decision, make sure to read the detailed reviews and the things you should consider about open face reels when you are out in the market. This helps you to choose the one that meets your fishing requirements.
Last update on 2021-10-01 at 15:59 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API