Despite the weather not cooperating for many anglers around the United States this year, ice fishing really is rapidly approaching. To get ready for the hard water, anglers need to take a hard look at their existing equipment and see what should be replaced, what should be tossed, and what should be kept for the season. Great ice fishing gear is essential to an enjoyable experience on the ice and we’ve devised a list of some of the best ice fishing gear around. Whether it’s an anglers’ first time or they’ve been on the hard water for many seasons, this list will either help them get started or give them ideas on how to upgrade.
NOTE: List prices are updated frequently. Please click on each link to see what the latest price is.
- ION 40V Electric Ice Auger, 8 Inch | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
- Eskimo Fatfish 949 Insulated Ice Shelter | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
- Frabill I2 Bib | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
- Frabill I2 Jacket | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
- Baffin Men’s Impact Insulated Boot | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
- Clam Chair | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
- HT Polar Thermal Extreme Ice Fishing Tip-up | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
- 13 Fishing Teardrop Inline Ice Reel | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
- Humminbird ICE-35 Three Color Flasher | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
- St. Croix Premier Ice Rod | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
- Sufix 832 Ice Braid Fishing Line | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
- Strike Master Ice Augers Lazer Hand Auger | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
ION 40V Electric Ice Auger, 8 Inch | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
The ION 40v Electric Ice Auger is an excellent ice auger for the money. The first high-performance electric ice auger, the ION 40v can drill up to 40 holes of ice two feet thick on a single charge. Included in this model is the reverse feature, which eliminates the need for an ice skimmer. Anglers will just drill the hole, put it in reverse to empty out the floating ice, and they’re ready to fish. Only 21 pounds which will slow fatigue in a long day on the ice. Charger and 12 inch extension included, giving the auger a maximum length of 46 inches. Comfortably designed and reliable with no fumes, no gas, no oil- just charge up and go fishing.
- ION Reverse. Reverse eliminates the need for an...
- Smooth cuts every time. The ION No Catch Cutting...
- Lightweight. Easy to Carry. At only 22 pounds, ION...
- No gas. No oil. No fumes. Cuts like a gas auger...
- Large, Ergonomically Positioned Trigger. The ION...
Eskimo Fatfish 949 Insulated Ice Shelter | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
In searching for ice shelters, a few critical options became apparent. The most important option, I feel, is insulation. The is insulated while still being light enough for carrying. The insulation gives anglers 35% more warmth inside the enclosure, potentially removing the need for any kind of space heater on the ice. And the Eskimo is big. Big enough for three or four anglers with plenty of gear to set up. Designed to be the first wide-bottom portable pop up ice shelter, the Eskimo gives the angler up to 80% more fishable area while still being ultra portable and convenient like the Eskimo Quickfish shelters. Six self tapping ice anchors are strong enough to not bend under pressure and very easy to grip. Two doors on either end will give anglers easier access to the shelter. Six removable windows offer several different viewing configurations. With dimensions of 94″ x 94″ x 80″, anglers should have no problem standing up to stretch.
- Fully insulated with iq insulated fabric for 35...
- Includes 6 self-tapping ice anchors that are...
- 3-4 person capacity with set-up size of 94" x 94"...
- Two doors featuring quality YKK zippers, on...
- 6 large removeable windows for more viewing...
Frabill I2 Bib | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
Regardless whether an angler is fishing from within a shelter or not, protection from the cold is very important. Anglers cannot go wrong with the Frabill I2 line of bibs. With the most advanced designs, features, and fabrics, the I series from Frabill tops our list for ice anglers everywhere. 500 denier nylon reinforced knees provide comfort as well as protection when bending down to retrieve a big fish. The straps are fully elastic outfitted with cam buckles for supreme comfort. Frabill included a Self-Rescue set with this bib which includes ice pick holsters, Frabill Ice Safety internal label, and drainage mesh. Waterproof, windproof, breathable with 300 denier nylon taslan shell, this bib gets the job done. 100% seam sealed means anglers won’t have to worry about water entering through sewing seams. A great bib for any angler, the Frabill I2 bib should be on all anglers this winter.
- 10,000MM Hydrostatic resistance (14 PSI)
- 300 Denier nylon Taslan, 500 Denier wear area,...
- 250 G Fleece Insulation and 230T Tafeta lining
- Full elastic shoulder straps with cam lock buckles
- Self-Rescue Feature set: ice pick holsters,...
Frabill I2 Jacket | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
To match the I2 bib Frabill has the I2 Jacket that’s equally as impressive. In addition to the waterproofing, windproofing, and breathable material made in the bib, the Frabill I2 Jacket includes fleece lining in the torso and tricot in the sleeves. More pocket space than any angler could ask for, the I2 Jacket also includes internal pockets meant specifically for precious items like electronics. This jacket comes with an adjustable hood with sun visor that works well to shield from the bright sun. Just like the bib, the I2 Jacket has its own Self-Rescue features: ice pick holsters, Frabill Safety label, drainage mesh and Frabill Self-Rescue ice pick set.
- Seirus 814510016 Xtreme Ice Fishing
- Magnetic fasteners keep mitt open
- Self-Rescue Feature set: ice pick holsters,...
- Adjustable hood with sun visor
Baffin Men’s Impact Insulated Boot | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
From our friends up north, the Baffin Impact Insulated boot is basically the only ice fishing boot anglers will ever need. Scouring reviews and recommendations online, more positive reviews have been said for this boot than any other we could find. Offered in black, white, and real tree, to accommodate any situation. Thanks to an eight layer inner boot system with Thermaplush insulation, this boot will keep feet warm in up to -148 degrees F. This boot is equipped with a bungee toggle snow collar to keep out wintry incursion when walking in the elements. A great boot to really keep anglers warm during those long days on the ice.
- Insulated for comfort to -148 degrees F
- 8-layer inner boot system with Thermaplush
- With a bungee toggle snow collar to lock out...
Clam Chair | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
I mentioned this awesome travel chair in my 25 Best Fishing Gifts post a little while back, but it bears mentioning again. The Clam Chair is an excellent option for any angler that just needs a simple, easy to travel with, all purpose ice fishing chair. Move from hole to hole and spot to spot easily with this 12 pound all purpose fishing seat. It has enough room for six rod and reels, a tip up, and some tackle boxes as well. Included is a fish bag for your catch that rests underneath the seat. It has a weight capacity of 225 pounds thanks to its sturdy steel infrastructure. Simple carrying straps are affixed to the seat for easy pick up and go.
- Folding chair that converts to a gear bag and rod...
- Padded seat with built in fish bag
HT Polar Thermal Extreme Ice Fishing Tip-up | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
For anglers that prefer to fish using multiple tip ups all over the water, the HT Polar Thermal Extreme Tip-up is a great option. It’s designed to cover 8 inch holes to keep the spool underneath from freezing, which would really mess things up during a furious bite! Its spool is large enough to handle 200 feet of line. Fitting neatly into a 5 or 6 gallon pail, anglers can carry multiple tip ups in just one bucket for easy distribution. The HT Polar is designed with a patented freeze proof trip mechanism so no matter what the elements, anglers will have a working tip up without worry.
- HT Polar Thermal Extreme ice fishing tip-up
- Model Number: PTE-200
- Freeze-proof patented trip mechanism
- Fits into a 5- or 6-gallon pail
- 200' spool capacity
13 Fishing Teardrop Inline Ice Reel | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
When I came across this reel, I was really intrigued by it. What an ingenious design! The 13 Fishing Teardrop Inline Ice Reel is a teardrop shaped reel designed specifically for ice anglers. Constructed with an ultra light composite body that surrounds the narrow spool inside. Geared with Japanese ball bearings help deliver even the lightest jigs to the bottom. A 6.2:1 gear ratio, carbon drag, and instant anti-reverse round out its specs. This reel is complete with 8 ball bearings including two Japanese high spin spool bearings. The Instant Anti Reverse Oversize line window is designed to prevent ice buildup on the zero line twist spool. What a great reel and designed for both left and right retrievals.
Humminbird ICE-35 Three Color Flasher | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
Every ice angler needs a good flasher when out on the hard water. I suppose one could go without, but why decrease the odds of landing some fish? Humminbird has been known to make an affordable, reliable fish finder for years and this product is no exception. The ICE-35 Three Color Flasher is a perfect unit for an ice angler. It has a selectable dual frequency sonar so anglers can choose a more narrow scanning range with more bottom detail or a wider scan that captures more area. Scan up to 200 feet of depth with this flasher. With a 526 segment, 3-color fiber optic display, anglers can expect to read incredible detail below the ice.
- Crafted from the highest quality material
- Perfect for outdoor and even indoor use
- Made in United States
St. Croix Premier Ice Rod | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
St. Croix’s Mojo Ice Rod is made from a solid carbon blank which gives the angler the ultimate in flexibility and sensitivity. Stainless steel guides means no corrosion over prolonged use. A traditional cork handle completes this awesome package. St. Croix has a reputation for being an industry leader. The Mojo Ice Rod does its job to uphold that reputation.
- Precision-taper solid carbon blank
- Premium split-grip cork/EVA handle
- Custom reel seat ideal for all techniques
- Lightweight, stainless-steel guides
Sufix 832 Ice Braid Fishing Line | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
I’ve stated numerous times how much I love Sufix 832 braided fishing line. In fact I mentioned it as one of the top 3 best braided fishing lines on the market today. Sufix makes a super thin, super strong premium ice fishing braided line with this version of the 832. This line is available in two colors, ghost and neon lime. All the same great features from Sufix’s regular 832 braided line are found in this Ice Braid, including 8 fiber construction (7 Dyneema and 1 Gore Performance Fiber) and 32 weaves per inch. The Gore performance fiber gives this line its durability whereas the Dyneema fibers give it its toughness and water resistance, important for preventing freezing. Each spool yields 50 yards of line. An incredible fishing line from an incredible brand.
- The strongest, most durable small diameter ice...
- R8 Precision Braiding and fiber technology provide...
- Patent-pending construction of 8 fibers (7 Dyneema...
- 32 weaves (pics) per inch
Strike Master Ice Augers Lazer Hand Auger | 12 Picks for the Best Ice Fishing Gear
If carrying weight is a concern for you when ice fishing, consider a hand cranking ice auger instead of a powered auger. Anglers should look no further than the Strike Master Lazer Hand Auger. Weighing only 7 pounds this ice auger is a cinch to carry to the next hole. Chrome alloy stainless steel blades make this auger strong and rust resistant. The blades are powder coated to help with ice buildup. Soft rubber grips make cranking this auger comfortable to the touch. This auger adjusts height from 48″ to 57″ giving anglers the precise depth they need to drill open a hole in the water. It’s a precise tool that really drills past the competition, making it one of the best hand augers out there.
- Chrome-alloy Stainless Steel Blades
- Powder Coated Paint to Reduce Ice Build-up
- Soft Rubber Grips
- Ergonomic Designed Handle System
- Adjustable Handle: Adjusts from 48" - 57"
Last update on 2019-09-15 at 23:25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API