When deciding what to fish for, if you’re lucky enough to be around waters that hold them, try your luck fishing for smallmouth bass.
They can get pretty big and put on one heck of a fight.
Considering they share many of the same waters, smallmouth bass fans will tell you smallmouth are more fun to fight than trout.
Trout guys may disagree, but we all can agree that smallmouth bass fishing is some of the best you can find in freshwater.
To catch smallmouth, you need good tackle so we’ve compiled a list of the best lures for smallmouth bass that all anglers should have.
You might think baits that work with largemouth can also be successful with smallmouth. This is absolutely true.
Smallmouth will strike a buzzbait just as a largemouth would.
Do you have a favorite, go to largemouth spinnerbait?
Chances are it works with smallmouth. I haven’t found any reasons, either through research or experience, to suggest only certain colors work for smallmouth, but you should consider a couple things that may be different from largemouth.
First, smallmouth typically inhabit clear, cooler water. Where you expect to find trout you can also find smallmouth, so make sure you choose appropriate colors based on clear water conditions.
Secondly, you’ll find more and bigger smallmouth in and near boulders and rocky bottoms. Using jigs that don’t get hung up easily on would be a wise choice in those situations. Don’t get me wrong, a sunken log will hold smallmouth too. But they tend to prefer rocky structure.
Finally, early morning and late evening are your best chances to get smallmouth on the surface. The cooler water from the night brings them to the shallows but as the day wears on they’ll recede to the depths. Find them early and throw some topwaters for incredible action. Okay, here is the best lures for smallmouth bass- happy hunting!
- Cotton Cordell Big O – The Best Lures for Smallmouth Bass
- Booyah Blade Spinnerbait – The Best Lures for Smallmouth Bass
- Storm WildEye Swim Shad – The Best Lures for Smallmouth Bass
- Mepps Aglia Double Blade – The Best Lures for Smallmouth Bass
- Strike King Bitsy Bug Mini Jig – The Best Lures for Smallmouth Bass
- Yamamoto Senko – The Best Lures for Smallmouth Bass
- Booyah Buzz – The Best Lures for Smallmouth Bass
Cotton Cordell Big O – The Best Lures for Smallmouth Bass
- Short squared lip deflects off cover
- Effective on all types of bass and other...
- One of the most copied baits in history
Cotton Cordell has been around for a very long time and for good reason- they produce. The Big O is a terrific crankbait to fish over rock and gravel beds, where smallmouth tend to feed.
Vary your speeds, even letting the Big O float to the surface to add a different action with each cast. Even the laziest of bronzebacks will have a hard time resisting its allure.
Booyah Blade Spinnerbait – The Best Lures for Smallmouth Bass
- Largemouth smallmouth and spotted bass all...
- Flex wire alloy frames for maximum vibration
- Jeweler's grade gold and nickel plated blades
Storm WildEye Swim Shad – The Best Lures for Smallmouth Bass
- These ultra-realistic swim shad baits feature...
- Sporting strong soft bodies with internal...
- These durable baits are pre-rigged with a...
- 0.25 Oz
- An excellent holographic swimmin' foil finish...
Mepps Aglia Double Blade – The Best Lures for Smallmouth Bass
Strike King Bitsy Bug Mini Jig – The Best Lures for Smallmouth Bass
- Premium silicone skirt gives more action than...
- Fiber weedguard helps prevent line from being...
- Inverted line tie on the upper part of head...
- Snagless/weedless head design helps prevent...
- Quality construction and premium hooks.
Perfect for working those rocky beds, the Bitsy Bug Mini Jig should help coax out those hiding bass out of their rocky homes. Jig the bait on and over the rocks with confidence as these baits are designed to minimize getting hung up. Green and brown are always good choices for colors, but black and blue have been successful for many anglers. Carry a box dedicated to jigs with a ride range of colors so you can get the right bait on to the right fish.
Yamamoto Senko – The Best Lures for Smallmouth Bass
- Try rigging this bait wacky style or texas...
- The beauty of the Senko is in it's simplicity
- The Yamamoto Senko may just look like a thick...
- When rigged weightless the Yamamoto Senko...
- The Yamamoto Senko has quickly become a...
If you don’t have plastics in your tacklebox, you’re really missing out on incredibly fun fishing. Such a versatile bait, Senko’s can be used in a variety of setups. Alone as a wacky rig or texas rig, or maybe as a trailer to a jig or spinnerbait. Whatever rig you decide (there are so many), have a few of them ready to go before you head onto the water so you can switch out quickly. Yamamoto is the standard bearer in plastic baits, and their Senko line more that exceeds their reputations.
Booyah Buzz – The Best Lures for Smallmouth Bass
- Planes quickly and runs true out of the...
- BOOYAH clacker really attacks the blade
- The 55 strand silicone skirt and a mustard...
Yeah, I’d be crazy if I didn’t include at least one buzzbait in this list. The Booyah Buzz is perfect for extreme topwater action. The Buzz is designed with a clacker to make even more noise on the water than a standard buzzbait. When smallmouth are cruising the shallows for bait in the early mornings or late evenings, a topwater buzzbait is my choice to get a strike. Made in a wide selection of colors you can find exactly what you need with the Booyah Buzz.
Be sure to grab a few to give you as many options on the water!
Last update on 2019-07-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API